Community policing is a philosophy that promotes organizational strategies that support the systematic use of partnerships and problem-solving techniques to proactively address the immediate conditions that give rise to public safety issues such as crime, social disorder, and fear of crime. The Mayfield Heights Police Community Operations Unit was established specifically to address any of these situations.
Members of the Community Operations unit main responsibility is to promote the Department's mission and values. We conduct community education seminars and develop programs and strategies to reduce crime in the city of Mayfield Heights.
Community Operations offer several programs for our residents and businesses.
- Neighborhood Watch
- Citizens Police Academy
- C.A.T.S. Academy (Citizens Academy for Teenage Students)
- Home Safety Assessment inspections
- Defensive Tactics for Women
- Bike Rodeos
- Safety talks to groups (elderly, schools, community groups)
- Address traffic complaints.
- Recognize/address and resolve any neighbor problem/complaint that arises.
- Address residential complaints concerning Departments’ services.
- Conduct traffic surveys/studies at locations of high residential concern.
- Business Safety Assessment inspections
- Develop exclusive Emergency Response Protocols for Corporations/Businesses.
- ALiCE Training (lifesaving response to active shooter situations)
- Crime Prevention and Safety tip programs
- Any type of Employee Safety education/training seminars
- Address any merchant/business/corporation complaint concerning our Departments’ services.
- Create Merchant Shoplifter Protocols
The Mayfield Heights Traffic Bureau is responsible for checking all the accident reports generated by the Patrol Division for accuracy, completeness, and follow up before the reports are sent to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Columbus for entry in the state-wide database.
In addition, the Traffic Bureau investigates fatal accidents, accidents involving City owned units, and any other time that extensive property damage or injury results. The Traffic Bureau is also responsible for the care and maintenance of the Department's Datamaster Alcohol Testing Machine.
Members of the Mayfield Heights Traffic Bureau are committed to helping you with any concerns you might have about traffic problems in the City.
Please call the Traffic Bureau at 440-442-2323, ext. 222 if we can help you in any way.